The Real Housewives Divorce Club
The Real Housewives Divorce Club: A Look at the Marriages That Ended in Controversy
The Real Housewives franchise is known for its drama, glamour and drama. But sometimes, the drama spills over into the personal lives of the cast members, and their marriages end in controversy. Whether it’s due to infidelity, abuse, fraud or other scandals, some of the Real Housewives divorces have been more shocking than others. Here are some of the most controversial Real Housewives divorces that happened while filming or shortly after.
Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi (RHOBH)
Erika Jayne shocked fans when she filed for divorce from her husband Tom Girardi in November 2020, after 21 years of marriage. The couple had a 33-year age difference and no prenup. Their divorce has been complicated by Girardi’s legal troubles, as he faces allegations of embezzling money from his clients. Erika has denied any involvement or knowledge of his alleged crimes. Their divorce drama has been playing out on season 11 of RHOBH.
Bethenny Frankel and Jason Hoppy (RHONY)
Bethenny Frankel’s marriage to Jason Hoppy was one of the most contentious divorces in Real Housewives history. The two met in 2008 and married in 2010, which prompted Bravo to give them their own spinoff series Bethenny Getting Married? They had one daughter together, but their relationship soon turned sour. They announced their separation in 2012 and filed for divorce in 20131. However, their divorce was not finalized until 2021, after a bitter custody battle over their daughter.
Jules Wainstein and Michael Wainstein (RHONY)
Jules Wainstein’s marriage to Michael Wainstein ended during her first and only season on RHONY. The two had been married for eight years and had two children together, but their relationship was plagued by problems. Jules accused Michael of cheating on her with a friend, while Michael accused Jules of abusing drugs and alcohol. They filed for divorce in 2016, but their legal battle dragged on for years. In 2020, Michael was arrested for allegedly assaulting Jules.
Taylor Armstrong and Russell Armstrong (RHOBH)
Taylor Armstrong’s marriage to Russell Armstrong was one of the most tragic divorces in Real Housewives history. The two had been married for six years and had one daughter together, but their relationship was abusive and violent. Taylor revealed on the show that Russell had hit her and threatened to kill her. She filed for divorce in July 20111, but a month later, Russell committed suicide by hanging himself at a friend’s house. His death was addressed on season 2 of RHOBH.
Phaedra Parks and Apollo Nida (RHOA)
Phaedra Parks’ marriage to Apollo Nida ended in scandal and controversy. The two had been married for five years and had two sons together, but their relationship fell apart when Apollo was convicted of fraud and identity theft in 2014. He was sentenced to eight years in prison, but Phaedra decided to divorce him before he went behind bars. Their divorce was finalized in 2017, but not without drama. Apollo accused Phaedra of hiding assets and lying about their marriage date, while Phaedra accused Apollo of being unfaithful and disrespectful.
Other Real Housewives Couples Who Filed for Divorce in Controversy
• Teresa Giudice and Joe Giudice (RHONJ) – Joe was deported to Italy after serving time for fraud. their marriage ended in a scandalous and bitter divorce that was influenced by their legal troubles and Joe’s deportation.
• Porsha Williams and Kordell Stewart (RHOA) – Kordell blindsided Porsha with divorce papers
• Camille Grammer and Kelsey Grammer (RHOBH) – Kelsey cheated on Camille with his current wife. In 2010, Kelsey moved to New York to star in a Broadway show, while Camille stayed in Los Angeles with their kids. She also joined the cast of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, which Kelsey later claimed was his “parting gift” to her. During the filming of the show, Camille learned that Kelsey was having an affair with a younger woman named Kayte Walsh, a former flight attendant. She confronted him on camera and filed for divorce shortly after.
• Adrienne Maloof and Paul Nassif (RHOBH) – Adrienne accused Paul of abusing her and their children
• Yolanda Hadid and David Foster (RHOBH) – David left Yolanda amid her battle with Lyme disease
• Lynne Curtin and Frank Curtin (RHOC) – Frank served Lynne with divorce papers on her birthday
• Tamra Judge and Simon Barney (RHOC) – Simon accused Tamra of cheating on him
• Kelly Dodd and Michael Dodd (RHOC) – Kelly accused Michael of being a narcissist and a control freak
• Meghan King Edmonds and Jim Edmonds (RHOC) – Jim cheated on Meghan with their nanny, Carly Wilson. Meghan confirmed the affair on her podcast, saying she was “devastated” and “in shock”. Jim denied the allegations, but the damage was done.
• Alexis Bellino and Jim Bellino (RHOC) – Jim sued Tamra and Shannon for defamation after their divorce
• Gina Kirschenheiter and Matthew Kirschenheiter (RHOC) – Matthew was arrested for domestic violence against Gina